Sunday, December 18, 2011

Christmas Week...my favorite of the year.

Merry Christmas everyone! I know this week might be filled with lots of parties, baking, and loved ones; but I still have to cook, how about you? Needless to say, I have a crazy week and so I needed some easy meals, so here they are.

Monday- Spinach Mandarin Salad
Tuesday- Baked Pesto Chicken with Angel hair and herbs
Wednesday- Stir fry (chicken, beef or vegetable)
Thursday- Sweet and Salty Wraps
Friday- Chipotle style burritos

Spinach and Mandarin Salad

So I made this for my mom's group a few weeks ago and they loved it. I thought it would be appropriate for dinner as well. You can pair it with some yummy rolls as well. I make the dressing in the recipe, but if you are in a pinch you could buy your own. I never use the rest of the dressing, so I save it and make the Sweet and Salty Wraps later in the week. Recipe and picture from Our best bites.


I haven't made this one before but I have been wanting a new pesto recipe. I make my own pesto: http://www.marthastewart.com/314321/basic-basil-pesto. It is not hard, so don't be scared. The rest of the recipe seems very simple. Recipe from Momswhothink.com

Chicken breast
1/2 cup basil pesto
2 plum tomatoes
Shredded mozzarella cheese

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cover cookie sheet with foil.
2. Put pesto and chicken in bowl. Toss until chicken is covered.
3. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
4. Place slices of tomato on top of chicken and sprinkle with cheese.
5. Bake another 3-5 minutes.
6. Serve with a box of angel hair pasta and herbs and French bread.



Stir Fry

Chicken/beef whatever you feel up for
Olive Oil
Onion
broccoli
carrots
Red pepper
Green Beans
Whatever veggies you have on hand or like
Rice
Soy Vay Teryiaki or your favorite teriyaki sauce
  • Heat some vegetable oil in a pan until warm
  • Add onion and stir fry for a few minutes
  • Add remainder of veggies and stir fry for a few more minutes
  • Add meat and cook thoroughly
  • Add teriyaki sauce and cook for a minute or until warm
  • Serve over white/brown rice

Sweet and Salty Wraps

Here's where you use the leftover Poppy Seed dressing! These are super easy and yummy. I have even used chicken nuggets in here when I ran out of chicken. So tasty. I serve this with a fruit salad and even some baked beans. Recipe and picture of course from Our best bites.


So I am not sure if you all like Chipotle, but I do. I wanted to try and recreate the burrito and I think this tastes pretty close (at least to me).

Chicken
Taco Seasoning
Fresh Salsa
Black or Pinto Beans
White or Brown Rice
Avocado (if you like it)
Tortillas
Mozzarella cheese
  • Grill diced Chicken until cooked
  • Add taco seasoning according to package directions
  • Cook rice
  • Place chicken to tortilla and top with toppings

Shopping list

Spinach
Avocado
red onion
mozzarella cheese
broccoli
green beans
Fresh basil
Toasted pine nuts
chicken
pinto/black beans
fresh salsa
tortillas
taco seasoning
dried cranberries
feta cheese
bacon
carrots
red pepper
plum tomatoes
mandarin oranges
green onions
balsamic vinegar


No comments:

Post a Comment