Sunday, November 13, 2011

The week of November 13th (Happy Birthday Dad)

I hope a few of you took advantage of the meal list last week. Here is a new week of recipes. Enjoy. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or really liked/didn't like something.

Monday- Asian Style Chicken Wraps, grilled veggies
Tuesday- Turkey Burgers, with homemade sweet potato fries
Wednesday- Pumpkin alfredo
Thursday- Shredded chicken tacos, black beans and corn
Friday- Chili rubbed salmon, with zucchini and coos-coos

Below are the recipes/links to the recipes. I have had a lot of feedback that I needed some pictures, so here is my attempt to add pictures.

Asian Style Chicken Wraps
1 whole cooked chicken (store bought or your own about 2 1/2 pounds), shredded
8 store-bought crepes or you could make your own. I think I may next time, though these are wonderful (I found mine in near the produce for whatever reason)
2/3 cup Hoison Sauce (find it with the Asian sauces)
6 green onions slivered

  • Trim both ends off of the green onions and slice vertically and then in half
  • Warm the crepes in the microwave (30 seconds or so)
  • Place the shredded chicken, green onions and sauce and wrap it in the crepe and enjoy
  • I served this with grilled zucchini, peppers, and tomatoes with garlic and olive oil
Recipe from Everyday Food Magazine, June 2005


Turkey Burgers and homemade sweet potato fries
(picture and recipe from Our best bites)
Most of the time I just buy the pre-molded turkey patties and just grill them on the stove for a few minutes, but I love me some homemade sweet potato fries. This is my favorite recipe, and of course it from Our Best Bites. The trick to making these fries is to not have the spears touch each other. For those of you who shop at Trader Joes, they have these already cut into spears for you, which makes it way easier. Here is the link on how to make them:


Pumpkin Alfredo with Ravioli or linguine
(Recipe and picture from Our best bites)

To start you have to first make the guiltless-alfredo sauce from the recipe (if you are not feeling that adventurous, you can always go with store bought). Trust me when I say, you will not be disappointed but making the sauce yourself, it is easy and much healthier. I am going to take her advice and serve this with whole wheat noodles instead of ravioli though.

Shredded Chicken Tacos

1/2- 3/4 bag of FROZEN (it helps keep it moist) chicken tenderloins or breast
1 container of fresh restaurant style salsa (not chunky) and yes you can use jarred (not chunky)
tortillas
Shredded cheese

  • Place frozen chicken breast and salsa in the crock pot on low for 4-6 hours
  • Once cooked, shred
  • Top with cheese, avocado, etc.
  • I serve this with black beans and corn on the side

Chili Rubbed Salmon with Zucchini Spears
(recipe and picture from Martha Stewart.com)

The first time I made this salmon, I thought, weird, chili powder? But, YUMMY! If done right, it should taste like it is straight out of a restaurant. The trick is cover generously with Chili powder and course salt. The recipe does say only 1 tsp. but I used more. Broil for just a few minutes. I serve with Coos-Coos and not the corn.



Shopping List

Rotisserie chicken
green onions
Hoisin Sauce
Store bought Crepes
Zucchini
Yellow Pepper
Grape Tomatoes
Salmon Fillets
Canned Pumpkin
Chicken Broth
Fresh Sage/Thyme
Onion
Frozen Chicken tenderloins
Tortillas
Fresh/Jarred Salsa
Ground Turkey/Patties
Sweet potatoes/Spears
Black Beans
Corn
Whole Wheat Noodles











1 comment: